On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 05:57:45 -0400 Michael Hughes <mary...@compuserve.com> said:

it smells like gdm is .. well.. not being nice woth the freedesktop.org specs:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/autostart-spec/autostart-spec-latest.html

at least with you it isn't. it has worked fine for me in the past with gdm. so
its a new change or a patch/change put in fedora 17.

note the tryexec section:

TryExec Key

A .desktop file with a non-empty TryExec field MUST NOT be autostarted if the
value of the TryExec key does NOT match with an installed executable program.
The value of the TryExec field may either be an absolute path or the name of an
executable without any path components. If the name of an executable is
specified without any path components then the $PATH environment is searched to
find a matching executable program.

it does NOT say to EXECUTE it. i ASSUME it's trying to execute it and thus the
execution returns an error code (non-0 return) because it cant connect to x at
that point. i'm guessing here. if you replace the e exec path in tryexec with a
shell script that logs something to /tmp eg:

#!/bin/sh
echo "tryexec executed at "`date` >> /tmp/tryexeclog

and:

TryExec=/tmp/tryexeclog.sh
(or wherever u put the script)

and
chmod a+x tmp/tryexeclog.sh

and then just bring up gdm and see if that log file gets an entry for the  time
gdm started... then gdm is actually executing the tryexec... that'd be REALLY
bad and is imho a bad bug on gdm's part. it's not sensible to actually try
execute the de/wm executable as this can have side-effects and it was never
meant to be execed - just found and checked that it actually exists as an
executable file.

now... if it is checking the path for /usr/local/bin vs  /usr/bin - that's just
royally STUPID to do that. even more than actually doing an exec. but i suspect
you have a bug report to be filed over in fedora land :)