Thanks, I fooled around with it some more, and I think my setup is
somehow really wrong. I also tried out the debs that are in unstable
now, and they worked OK for me on a VM I  dist-upgraded a to
unstable.

They did not work when I added unstable entries in sources.list and
tried to add them to a basically wheezy / stable VM. Mixing stable
and unstable is often advised against.....

I think my debs on vin-dit.org work well for 1.7.7 on wheezy, I'm using
them myself. I lost the VM I built them on in a ZFS accident (don't ask)
and this attempt to recreate that has failed.

Probably the right thing to do is see if I can be of any use to the
people building the debs in sid. I did notice that to try and build
terminology on that sid VM with e17-dev installed I had to manually
(from tarballs) add in  :
eet
ethumb
elementary
emotion
(all 1.7.7, not 1.7.8)
to what was brought in from the e17-dev package.

Hopefully there will be an official backport of e17 etc to wheezy, I
guess what I have on vin-dit.org could be considered
an unofficial backport. I do also have a terminology deb that works
with the other debs there, except possibly with
regard to a display of a tab count/picker.

John Holland