Raster,

If you read the post instead of getting your hackles up whenever you
hear the name "AMD/ATI" you'd have noticed he was using the OSS driver.
In your opinion, is the OSS radeon driver itself so bad?

You've got a definite problem with people disagreeing with your opinion,
and in some cases there are people who don't have a choice about what
laptop they receive from the boss! Be realistic, and if you don't want
to support AMD GPUs AT ALL, then state so openly in the enlightenment
documentation! Don't say it's officially supported but then come down
hard on anyone who calls you on it, that's not just being childish, it's
being downright dishonest. And you're baiting flamewars by not coming
out on the position officially.

So, yeah, FGLRX sucks, we all agree, and nobody who asks your help uses
it anymore. Done. Write it up that E will never be supported on FGLRX,
that way complaints about it stop. Easy as that.

Now as for the OSS driver, if, in fact, there is a bug in the radeon
code, THAT IS WORTH INVESTIGATING! Whether the bug is on your side, or
radeon's side! By jumping down people's throats whenever they ask for
help using the OSS driver, you're not just discouraging people from
using E, you're also potentially throwing away a good opportunity for
the radeon guys to find bugs in their code if it's not in yours!

Yes, you're a genius writing E, and we all appreciate the work you've
done on it, but your attitude with people coming to the user's mailing
list asking for help with a legitimate complaint about a bug with all
OSS software and drivers is dowright hostile! If you want to be mean to
people, join a boxing or martial arts club, you'll get all that hatred
out of your system there and maybe, just maybe, you'll find the internet
has one less enraged project leader.

I'm not saying people yelling at you is fun and should be tolerated, but
reading through this particular topic I've not seen any particularly
hostile attacks on you or your code beyond the fact that there's a bug
when using the OSS radeon driver. If you can't accept that even 'O great
master raster' occasionally has bugs in his code, or that other projects
do and that E doesn't handle them as gracefully as KDE or Gnome, well,
that's another problem, but not one I expect to be realistic since
you've had a rather civilized and efficient team helping you with E for
a long time.

*rant against hate in my inbox over*

Goeland, long time E-user