Spent some time screwing around with various E settings - it seems that
when I set my compositing rendering engine to software instead of opengl I
no longer see the issue I displayed in my previous email with gadgets not
refreshing. Smells like a bug to me, I am heading to sleep now, but will
open a phab ticket in the morning.