Stefan,

You should define your question better; keep in mind that no-one else
can see what's on your screen so we don't really know what you are asking.

Your subject line is "wl-desktop-shell not possible" so I assume you
have a problem with wl-desktop-shell somehow. But you don't say what the
problem is so everyone else must guess. In the body you ask what does
configure look for when testing for wl-desktop-shell but that's a very
open-ended question. The obvious answer is "it looks for
wl-desktop-shell obviously!" which doesn't actually help you.

There's a definite skill to asking questions on open-source support
lists, you have to clearly say what your question is so everyone else
knows where you are coming from. Here's an excellent (and famous) essay
that lays it all out clearly:

Your post leaves people reading it wondering about all the important
bits. Which package's ./configure are you asking about? is there a real
problem and something won't compile, or are you just curious? why do you
think there is no wayland shell? does it not start? does it fail with an
error message? how did you install wayland and what is in USE? what have
you already done to investigate and what were the results? running
wayland on Gentoo was still tricky last time I looked into it, did you
follow a useful howto and which one?

All these things are relevant but you have not given any info about them
at all.

Remember, no-one else can see your screen so we can't guess what you are
asking, you have to spell it out clearly and in detail.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com