On Thu, 8 May 2014 12:34:33 +1000 Daniel Kasak <d.j.kasak...@gmail.com> said:

> Hi all.
>
> I've noticed that when any application goes 'non responsive', and E
> displays the little spinning ( whatever it is ) to indicate the app is non
> responsive ... E's CPU usage goes to 100% on one core.
>
> As soon as the app becomes responsive again, CPU usage returns to normal.
>
> Surely this isn't all being used to animate the little spinning thing? Is
> something else going on in there?

sudo perf top

find out... i bet you will find the time is being spend inside kernel and/or gl
driver somewhere (mesa?). i've seen this before once on nvidia drivers - they
would spinlock waiting for buffer objects to map them. this wait would consume3
100% cpu while waiting inside the driver.

i have seen the mesa intel drivers consume a fair bit of cpu copying data
around interally.