I have seen e get to high cpu when the spinning wheel starts, especially
affects e19 even if the wheel is spinning in a different desktop than the
currently visible one.

Do the Intel drivers have support for this extension? I can't find
information online. Only thing I did find was that it was added to Mesa in
beginning of 2013 (EGL_BUFFER_EXT).