Wow, I've never noticed this (or didn't wanted to?)

I've noticed that when I highligh a menu and the submenu doesn't appear, if
I move the cursor out of the menu and put it again IN THE SAME highlighted
menu, the submenu still doesn't appear. It does if I select another submenu.

+1 for 'you are (not) alone' :P

> On 02/03/2015 01:23 AM, Conrad Hill-Knight wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is something that's been bothering me for a while, and i think i
> > just have something misconfigured. When i left-click on the desktop to
> > bring up the main enlightenment menu, sometimes (often, actually) it
> > "stalls". [snip]
>
> You Are Not Alone™ :-)
>
> This is a very common occurrence in all Linux interfaces I have used. I
> *believe* it's because the loading of entry names, icons, paths, etc is
> done at the time your cursor hovers on the menu (aka "in real time",
> "just-in-time", etc), and it take a lot of cycles to retrieve and
> present the data. As distinct from systems (Windows? Mac?) where the
> whole menu content is preloaded at login, and sits there in an array in
> memory taking up space all the time --  but providing a faster response.
> But this is just my deduction based on observation, so it's a hypotheses
> for which I have no proof.
>
> > So, what appears to happen, is that the menu display is temporarily
> > frozen.
>
> Sometimes with all the flickering and bouncing and popping-up and
> popping-down that goes on in modern decorated menus, the script gets out
> of whack and loses control of where it's supposed to be; or there is a
> bug or other problem like a memory leak.
>
> I suspect this doesn't happen on really fast modern machines. I have no
> idea what the devs use, but they are probably better equipped than my
> old Dell Latitude D810. I have a bunch of even older D610s that I need
> to resuscitate from the kerlutches of Windows by installing Lubuntu for
> some graduate students, and it would be nice to give them a good
> interface like e17...so I will test one of the machines this week and
> see if it copes.
>
> ///Peter

Wido