> Here on Debian this started many time ago. For what I understand gnome
> windows are a bit different than others as their border is indeed some
> pixels bigger than what you see, al the rest is a transparent margin.
>
> Also the only thing I can do with these windows is dragging them by
> clicking on the window title. Even the context menu (right click) is not
> passed to E, if I want the window menu I have to alt+rightclick on it.

Welcome to the new GNOME-3 (adwaita in fact) theme!
That awful very huge transparent border was introduced with newer adwaita
version (and may be hardcoded by default in newer adwaita engine;-)
Lost track of the version numbers since ages... I don't try to follow each
silly
breakages or GNOME devs stupid and voluntary API breackages.

e-gtk-theme[0] remove those transparent wasted monstrously huge borders
to actual usable window. (Remain... a few voluntary breakages from...
Mozilla... Stopping here.)

Well, you get the picture already. The affected windows, no surprise here,
are from gtk+-3 apps.

You might try [0]. I did not found any worthy gtk+-[23] theme using adwaita
engine that suppressed huge transparent borders to usable windows...
You might find a few in the intertubes if you don't like it or is unbearable
with Mozzila apps, Chrom* family et al.

Good luck!

[0]: https://github.com/tokiclover/e-gtk-theme

--
Error 404: gentoo user <0123456789> was not found