On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Tom Hacohen <t...@osg.samsung.com> wrote:
> On 19/06/15 17:16, Felipe Magno de Almeida wrote:

[snip]

>> The "Questions help" really changes the mood of discussions and make
>> for a more amicable and affectionate relationship between members.
>
> Hey,
>
> The efl community guidelines are intended to be short and simple. More
> of a general way of thinking than actual specific ways of operation, so
> I think the above guidelines are out of scope.
>
> Also, I don't really agree with their "question" method. I think posing
> comments as questions you obviously think you know the answer to, is
> more condescending (and fluffy) than just saying what you think. They
> make it look otherwise by using a very biased example. The equivalent of
> "that's really stupid - it won't compile" is "that's really stupid -
> will it compile?". Without the negativity: "Doesn't look like it'll
> compile" is in my point of view, better than "will it compile?". The key
> I guess, is humility.

IMO, the question should not be rhetorical. Which helps change
the user's stance on the discusison by giving the opportunity to
himself of being wrong. Saying "it won't work" gives no room to
explain or to want to hear why it could work, while asking
"Are you sure this work in face of this and this issue?"
opens the discussion for understanding the other side.

If you feel this is out of scope for the guideline, it is not a problem,
but having been using this for awhile I can say it has helped
discussions for me. Besides, it changes the focus of winning
an argument to understand the other user's arguments. So
I feel it would a good tip for users of the guildeline.

> --
> Tom.

Regards,
--