On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 22:48:01 +0100, in message
56159311.7020...@silmaril.ie, Peter Flynn wrote:

> On 07/10/15 20:45, Roy Reese wrote:
> > Is it that you do not want to mount those drives in the first
> > place, or would like to unmount them?
>
> I can'd speak for David, but I'd just like an icon to appear on my
> desktop when I insert a USB device. One I can click on to mount,
> unmount, open fileman, or whatever. Right now, e17 out of the box
> doesn't recognise anything has happened.
>
> > I know that in E19 (and I assume E17), you can set EFM to *not*
> > mount drives automatically. See Settings > File Manager > Device and
> > uncheck "Mount volumes on insertion".
>
> In e17 it's Settings > All > Files > File Manager.
>
> Setting it to mount volumes on insert does not work: when a USB stick
> is inserted, it is not mounted (at least, not in /media/<username>).
> Perhaps e17 mounts it somewhere else.

I don't know where Debian or Ubuntu mount hot-pluggable drives,
however, Fedora mounts them in /run/media/<user>/<disk-name>.  I
don't know why they changed from /media to /run/media, but they
did.  Perhaps Debian did the same.

> > What I have noticed in E19 is that I can unmount external devices,
> > but not always eject them (pen drives yes; most external HDDs, no).
>
> When I first saw Eject as an option for USB drives, I thought how
> nice it would be if the socket had a spring-loaded ejecter like a
> tape drive does :-)

I can see it now, USB memory sticks flying about the room at Very
High Speed, Indeed.  Reminds me of the old DEC assembly
pseudo-instructions.  Such wonderful things as Execute Programmer
Immediate, Halt And Catch Fire, and our favorite, Eject Disk
Immediate.  Given the the usual disk in those days was an RK05,
which had a one-foot diameter aluminum platter spinning at 3600
RPM, it makes for one heck of a Frizbie.  :-)  :-)  :-)

Ancient humor aside, I hope this helps.

--Dale

--
"Have you any idea how successful censorship is on TV?  Don't
know the answer?  Hmm.  Successful, isn't it?"  -- Max Headroom