Ok, I cracked it.

modules/cpufreq/e_mod_main.c

In _cpufreq_face_update_available

If count is 0, then you get an integer underflow and end up passing a huge
number to malloc.  The code probably ought to check for 0 and do nothing in
that case.

It looks like there is a little suid program that reads the frequency, and my
system is set up with nosuid on the lib directory.  That's one theory as to why
this problem emerges with ZFS.  I'll try turning off nosuid and see what
happens.