Hi all.

My workplace is rolling out new display hardware, including a
'DisplayLink' hub. DisplayLink products provide connectivity to
monitors over USB. We're using DisplayLink 3 devices, which have
proprietary drivers. I'm having a lot of issues getting things working
smoothly. A thread on our performance issues is at:

http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64603

I've recently been asked about the compositor's "swapping method". I
currently have it set to auto. After I read this question, I thought
I'd try out other methods ( at home, no DisplayLink stuff connected ).
After this testing, I assume my setup is using the "Invalidate (full
redraw)" method, because this is the only method that works well.

"Copy from back to front", "Double buffered swaps" and "Triple
buffered swaps" produce a LOT of flickering and artifacts when I drag
windows around. I assume this is a driver issue ( Intel GPU, mesa
built from git, 4.7 kernel, X built from git )? If so, does anyone
know if bugs are entered against the relevant components yet?

The DisplayLink people have said in other threads that compositing
managers that force a full screen refresh leave them with no option
but to do a lot of processing, causing high CPU usage and bad latency
in display updates.

Am I out of luck?

Dan