On 01/10/2017 10:00 PM, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 09:40:54PM +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:
[...]
>> delete, lather, rinse, repeat...
>
> Here's a trick to make this easier: sudo aptitude remove libeina1
> aptitude will suggest removing all of the packages which depend on eina.
> Since that eventually includes all EFL libs, this will remove all of the
> packaged libraries from your systems without touching the copies in
> /usr/local.  (If you have efl-doc installed, it'll leave that)

I did eventually light on a combination that did this, so finally all
the packages are gone.  My heartfelt thanks to all of you who
contributed to solving this problem.

For the record, people who have installed e17 from the Ubuntu repos and
who want to build a new e/efl/terminology need to do:

apt remove --purge e17 e17-data e17-dbg e17-dev

(Some of those may not have been installed.) This will mention that a
number of packages are now unused and can be deleted with autoremove.
Don't do this. It will also say that /usr/share/enlightenment was not
empty and wasn't removed. Unless you have added icons manually to that
directory, you can delete it manually first.

Then do as Ross suggests and remove --purge libeina1
This will remove the following:
  libecore-con1* libecore-evas1* libecore-fb1* libecore-file1*
  libecore-imf1* libecore-input1* libecore-ipc1* libecore-x1*
  libecore1* libedbus1* libedje-bin* libedje1* libeet1* libeeze1*
  libefreet-bin* libefreet1a* libeina1* libeio1* libembryo-bin*
  libevas-loaders* libevas1* libevas1-engines-x*
and suggest that libembryo1 can be autoremoved (it can).

You should now have a cleaned-up system to work from to install e
according to the instructions at
https://www.enlightenment.org/distros/debian-start (replacing libxp-dev
with x11proto-print-dev).

> AFAIK, there's never been e18 or e19 packages distributed with Ubuntu.
> You probably got them from an unofficial source.  Upgrading with
> unofficial sources is often a problem.  Ubuntu will disable the source
> before upgrade, but that doesn't remove the packages.

I certainly didn't install anything from an unofficial source, but
perhaps I misread what it said: I was certainly under the impression
that I was using e18 under 15.10. I know that I was so shocked at what
it said that I reported it to this list (first post in this thread on 31
Oct 2016 at 22.02).

> I've built a PPA with the new Debian experimental packages here:
>   https://launchpad.net/~ross-kallisti/+archive/ubuntu/efl+e/
> These have never been tested in Ubuntu, but are doing well for me on
> Debian stretch + experimental.  Binaries are only there for 16.04.

Wonderful, thank you.

///Peter