On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 22:16:44 -0700 Marc MERLIN <marc_...@merlins.org> said:

> I took my older thinkpad, with a somewhat older E and older debian and
> sysvinit 9no systemd), and I made it a desktop machine.
> i installed the nvidia driver on it, because I don't care about battery
> use anymore.
>
> I have the screen setup as secondary (4K panel, 4K screen).
> When the screen turns off, E takes all the windows and puts them on the
> first screen, which is understandable.
> When the screen turns back on, it doesn't move the windows back, so I
> have to move them all one by one every time.

yup. that's a known shortcoming of display plug and unplug.

> Does newer E deal with this better and auto save/restore positions on
> secondary screens with the nvidia driver? (I noticed that the driver
> does not cause E to popup its secondary screen setup which does pop up
> if I use the i915 driver, so E may not deal with those screen
> add/removes the same way)

this has zero to do with drivers (this time :)) and all to do with e's own
logic. unfortunately this is just how it is. there is an item on the TODO for
this:

* randr: when losing a zone/screen, put windows in purgatory and then have
  purgatory screens available via pager to drag onto a current screen,
  or the specific virtual desktops from purgatory to be accessible even
  if not on a real screen/zone

so instead of dumping windows on the "new current screen" it'll keep them
stored in "purgatory" where they await you to decide what to do with them. so
imagine an extra arrow appears on your pager - click it to show a popup that
lists all purgatory screens in the same form the pager is now - a set of desks
and windows on them. probably larger. now either dnd windows out to somewhere,
or dnd whole desks or... dnd an entire screen (new) and then you can decide
where to send the desktops+windows that were lost by the monitor unplug fairly
easily at a time of your choosing.

bonus round: as they are kept in their same state if that screen is plugged
back in it's trivial to automatically restore the purgatory screen to the real
physical one at this point.

> Seperately, is there some window grouping option where I can group a set
> of windows and drag them all back to the other screen, as a single
> window?

no. there isn't.

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com