Hello,

In the Message;

  Subject    : Re: [e-users] xdg-open ignores mimeapps.list
  Date & Time: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 09:39:40 +0100

[CH] == Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> has written:

said:

CH>  > Hello,
CH>  >
CH>  > In enlightenment (0.25.3 and 0.25.4), and e16 (1.0.24), xdg-open
CH>  > exhibits strange behaviours;
CH>  >
CH>  > 1. for plain text e-mail in many folders, the command
CH>  >
CH>  >   $ xdg-open 1
CH>  >
CH>  >   tries to show it in the default audio player.

CH>  let me guess - there is a disagreement on mime type as this has
CH>  absolutely no way to tell what kind of file that is (without
CH>  opening it up and poking around inside). efreet has multiple ways
CH>  of checking the type one - fo them is an expensive "poke around
CH>  inside". efm doesn't use that when it lists files as it's really
CH>  costly to go open every file you list and scan around for magic
CH>  byte sequences as you list a directory... enlightenment_open uses
CH>  the more expensive efreet call that pokes around inside because
CH>  it's only opening 1 or a small set of files, not a whole
CH>  directory. opening up files with poor/ambiguous extensions is
CH>  going to lead to this. there are performance tradeoffs.

Sorry, but your comment is very hard to understand.

I found the issue via using of recoll.

This is a great application, and I am thrilled that I can instantly
find the files I want from the nearly 5 million files on my system.

This is a great application, and I am thrilled that I can instantly
find the files I want from the nearly 5 million files on my system.

As you may know, xdg-open plays an important role in the display of
search results in this application, but I hesitate to use it under
enlightenment because it behaves like a sleepwalker.

The way you put it, we can't use recoll under the enlightenment, is
that right?

Are you actually saying that none of the enlightenment users use
recoll?

In additon,

1. sorry, but what is the efm?

2. pmview.exe doesn't include the pdf file as a target file.

Regards.

---
┏━━┓彡    Masaru Nomiya                  mail-to: nomiya @ galaxy.dti.ne.jp
┃\/彡
┗━━┛       "A bachelor’s degree still holds prestige as a ticket to the
               middle class, but its value has received increasing scrutiny.
               In the last several years, rising tuition and student loan debt
               have led more Americans to reconsider an investment in
               postsecondary education."

                                                        -- Washington Post --