In my Linux installation of Firefox ESR 45.2.0, I tried to modify the
parameter "MAX_HISTORY_MENU_ITEMS" in the omni.ja file's sub-file
"chrome/browser/content/browser/browser.js" and then repack it using
"zip -qr9XD" as instructed on the Web page indicated:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/About_omni.ja_(formerly_omni.jar%29)

It didn't work. All I got was the following:

test@ime1:~> /opt/Firefox/45.2.0.test/firefox
1469556545366   addons.repository       WARN    cacheEnabled: Couldn't get
pref: extensions.getAddons.cache.enabled
1469556545366   addons.repository       WARN    cacheEnabled: Couldn't get
pref: extensions.getAddons.cache.enabled
1469556545366   addons.repository       WARN    cacheEnabled: Couldn't get
pref: extensions.getAddons.cache.enabled
1469556545367   addons.repository       WARN    cacheEnabled: Couldn't get
pref: extensions.getAddons.cache.enabled
1469556545367   addons.repository       WARN    cacheEnabled: Couldn't get
pref: extensions.getAddons.cache.enabled
1469556545367   addons.repository       WARN    cacheEnabled: Couldn't get
pref: extensions.getAddons.cache.enabled
1469556545464   addons.repository       WARN    cacheEnabled: Couldn't get
pref: extensions.getAddons.cache.enabled

I had also tried another, totally unrelated, modification to omni.ja
and got the same error messages. But it works just fine with the
original omni.ja. I am getting the impression that Firefox ESR 45.2.0
is somehow locked down and only works if omni.ja *isn't* modifed.