I have gotten the impression, over the last dozen years, that many
facilities that are intended to be helpful for naive users are helpful -
95% of the time. The other 5% of the time they make accomplishing a less
naive task more difficult (or occasionally impossible).

Since ESR installers are presumably not naive, and since ESR is meant
for site-wide deployment, why is this sort of "help" even considered?

What I use to download Firefox ESR is a BASH script which takes the
version number and then downloads all the current language-specific
ESRs (Linux and Windows, 32-bit and 64-bit), plus the SHA512 checksum
files from "https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/";
into a standard place, renaming the files a bit to "clean them up".
Then I run a related script to verify the checksums. (I also do the
equivalent for new Thunderbird versions, although its ESR is no more.)

I can provide these scripts if anyone is interested. (I would imagine
they could serve as models for Windows PowerShell scripts as well.)