I just installed Firefox ESR 52.1.0 to try it out and got a warning
from Classic Theme Restorer that it will not work in ESR 59 et seq
because the "XUL / XPCOM / legacy addon" support is being removed in
57.

This would be a disaster from our point of view as the Classic Theme is
the only way Firefox has a decent UI. (If we wanted Chrome, we'd use
Chrome.)

Does the removal of this support make the Classic Theme inherently
impossible, or "just" a major new programming effort to update the CTR
addon?