Informatique wrote:

> Dear fellow sysadmins,
>
> These episodes of bunch of guys trying to get out of the list and
> figuring how to do so happens quite frequently. They are not techies
> (otherwise they would figure out how to unsubscribe themselves),
> showing that they should not have subscribed in the first place. It
> appears that there is a flaw somewhere : either they were misdirected
> to their list, either they got subscribed without  their (informed)
> consent.
>
> Is it possible for list admins to investigate the problem ? How these
> people get subscribed here ? Is it possible that there's a bot
> filling adresses in this list ? (to test them ? that would be
> weird…)

I believe the 'problem' is the web page at:

  https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

This is the page that most people will arrive at when searching for info
about the ESR release

Unfortunately, the terminology on that page 'implies' that you need to
sign up to this list before doing anything else ... i.e. using the term
'Step' normally means you need to complete 'Step 1' (sign up to the
list) before proceeding to 'Step 2' (download ESR)

I definitely got that impression when I was looking for info about ESR
over 5 years ago (although I wanted to sign up!) - so I'm not surprised
so many people join this list 'by mistake'

My suggestion would be to get that page changed and replace the 'Step 1'
and 'Step 2' paragraphs with something like:

* Review our handy FAQ about Firefox ESR [link]

* Download Firefox ESR [link]

* Join the Enterprise Working Group (EWG) mailing list [link] to discuss
deploying and configuring Firefox ESR with other community members and
receive regular communications regarding product updates and support

i.e. no mention of 'Steps' or 'strongly encouraging' list membership :-)

My guess is that those just interested in finding out about basics of
ESR or just wanting to download it, will have followed the FAQ or
download links and left the page so never get to the mail list link ...
i.e. only those that _really_ want to sign up will follow the list link

James Pearson