Does anyone agree with me that such a "scorched earth" policy is
unreasonable?

It ought to be pretty trivial to clone the entire directory tree of
add-ons as of the cutoff date, put it somewhere accessible, and then do
whatever is planned for add-ons in the future.

I'm not saying Mozilla should "support" and actually *update* XUL-only
add-ons, just that they shouldn't purge them entirely. (This is the way
it has long been done with old versions of Firefox itself.)

This is especially the case since recent official versions of Firefox
demand *signed* add-ons, and only Mozilla can sign them. Thus purging
the XUL add-ons signed by Mozilla could make a lot of versions of
Firefox unusable unless you happen already to have downloaded the
add-on in question.

In particular, suppose somebody wants to try to convert an XUL add-on
the the new environment. Unless he already *had* that XUL add-on, he
would not be able to compare the behavior of his ported version with the
original. He could, of course, use an non-release build of old Firefox,
but this is not a good way to ensure compatible behavior.

In other words, purging the set of XUL add-ons will make development of
replacement add-ons more difficult in the future.

Don't do it!

P.S. As I said, even Microsoft keeps stuff available related to previous
versions of Windows.