Thanks Mike, always reliable ☺

Have a great day!

Eric

From: Mike Kaply <mka...@mozilla.com>
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2019 12:38 PM
To: Éric Périard <eric.peri...@ccirc-ccric.ca>
Cc: Enterprise@mozilla.org
Subject: Re: [Mozilla Enterprise] Firefox ESR Offline Patching solution.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 10:54 AM Éric Périard
<eric.peri...@ccirc-ccric.ca<mailto:eric.peri...@ccirc-ccric.ca>> wrote:
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED // Public

Greetings colleagues,

I work in a border-line paranoid secure environment where we make use of
air-gapped PAW (Privileged Access Workstations) to administer the network.

The issue is well… it’s air-gapped, meaning there’s no access to the internet
at all from those workstations and everything is tightly controlled.

Also to deploy the updates, I use SCCM. For end-user systems we whitelist the
access so browsers can update themselves however that’s not possible for the
PAW’s.

So I’ve got a few questions:

1.       Is there a GPO or some kind of solution to redirect where Firefox ESR
fetches it’s update? (Without trying to spoof URLs which I’m sure change often)
Yes. We provide a policy to change the update URL.

2.       Where would I get the update patches instead of the entire installer
EXE?
The updates are called MAR files. They can be obtained on our release servers:

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/68.0.1esr/update/win64/en-US/

3.       Is above possible at all?
I have an (very) old post that describes this:

https://mike.kaply.com/2007/03/26/deploying-firefox-2-within-the-enterprise-part-5/

I think some things have change slightly since then (particular the server
response with the update)

The simplest thing to do would to push the complete mar file every time and
just have an update server that served based on the currently available version.

If you want to see how this all works, you can install an older version of
Firefox, turn on the pref app.update.log and then check for an update in the
help dialog. In the Javascript console, you'll see a message like this:

AUS:SVC Checker:getUpdateURL - update URL:
https://aus5.mozilla.org/update/6/Firefox/68.0.1/20190717172542/Darwin_x86_64-gcc3/en-US/release/Darwin%2018.7.0/ISET:SSE4_2,MEM:32768/default/default/update.xml?force=1

You can visit the URL you get to see the inner workings of the update XML.

Mike

Thank you as always….

Éric Périard
Laboratory Administrator | Administrateur du laboratoire
Canadian Centre for Cyber Security | Centre canadien pour la cybersécurité
Email | Courriel: eric.peri...@cyber.gc.ca<mailto:eric.peri...@cyber.gc.ca>
Website | Site Web: https://www.cyber.gc.ca/

[cid:image002.png@01D4ADA3.F54E4950]

NOTICE: This message and accompanying attachments contain information that is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed.
Any dissemination, distribution, copying or action taken in reliance on the
contents of this communication by anyone other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the sender immediately at the above address and delete the e-mail.

AVIS : Le présent message et toutes les pièces jointes qui l'accompagnent
contiennent de l'information destinée uniquement à la personne ou à l'entité à
laquelle elle est adressée. Toute diffusion, distribution ou copie de son
contenu par une autre personne que son destinataire est strictement interdite.
Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez informer immédiatement
l’expéditeur à l’adresse ci-dessus puis l’effacer.