From: Bambang Samekto [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2001 10:06 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: re: audit

Hi Sherry,

Maaf. Saya butuh waktu untuk memformulasikan jawaban yang diperlukan teman
di Brazil.  Berikut ini jawaban saya atas pertanyaan teman tersebut.  tentu
saja, methode yang saya ajukan ini sangat relative sesuai dengan kebutuhan
dan keadaan dari proyek tersebut.  Untuk uraian lebih jauh mengenai
methode-methode ini akan membutuhkan waktu, pikiran dan tenaga yang banyak.
Oleh karena itu, saya hanya menyampaikan hal-hal yang pokok saja. Saya
yakin teman-teman di Brazil juga tahu mengenai methode-methode ini.
Mudah-mudahan jawaban ini yang mereka perlukan.

Terima kasih.

 So, there are two aspects that will be examined/audit:

1. Financial legal aspects of the program/project
2. Program/Project performance

Financial legal aspects:

There are three principles used in conducting financial audit:

a. Allowable costs.  Project money can only be used to pay for services or
purchase goods that allowed by the existing local government or donor
agency laws, regulations and guidance. For example, USAID money cannot be
used to pay per diem of training participants who join training conducted
in the same city of the participant's resident.

b. Allocable costs.  Project money can only be used to pay for services or
purchase goods that stated, listed or planned and mutually agreed in the
project budget. For example, the fund cannot be used to buy equipment or
pay for services that are not listed in the budget plan.

c. Reasonable costs.  All cost must be reasonable.  Price of services or
equipment has to be comparable with market price. Project management must
be careful in providing or deciding approval for payment of the services or
equipment. For example, in order to get good and reasonable price of a
computer, project coordinator will request bids from at least three
vendors. The project coordinator will use existing market price as general
guide before deciding winner of the bids.

So, the auditor should follow these principle carefully. All expenses that
are not in line with these principles will be considered as fraudulence.

Project performance:

In most cases there is no straightforward method being used to analyze or
assess how project money is impacting the quality of health service.

While there are some methods can be used to measure quality of health
service, all stakeholders (donor agency, implementing or cooperating agency
and local government/counterpart) should carefully discuss and agree in
advance on the method(s) will be used for measuring project results.

The simple way to assess project performance is comparing the project
objectives and outputs as stated in the project proposal and the real
situation after the project is being or has been implemented. The
assessment can be conducted one year after the project implemented, at mid
or end of project life. However, the reality is not as easy as this
statement.

A good project should have specific, measurable, achievable, reasonable and
time-bounded objectives. These objectives will usually be broken down to
more specific outputs. In order to facilitate the consultant who will
conduct the analysis, the project should have also baseline data and
performance indicators.

Project objectives and outputs, use of base line data and performance
indicators, plan of activities should be discussed carefully and agreed
upon in advance by all project stake holders (donor agency, implementing or
cooperating agency and local government/counterpart).

There are three methods that could be employed individually or in
combination for analyzing project performance. This is in order to know: Is
the project accountable or not?

These methods are:

a. Cause and effects chains analysis. This technique is reviewing and
assessing carefully each part of the project and how it relates to each
other and as whole. The elements of this analysis include:
inputs-process-outputs-effects-impacts.

b. Cost-benefit analysis (CBA). CBA is a technique for comparing the
monetary costs and monetary outcomes of alternatives. It will analysis what
benefit will be gain by a project compared to the cost spent for the
project. Once, we know the benefit and cost, we could then count the
benefit-cost ratio (B/C ratio). The assumption is that if the B/C ratio of
a project is more than one means that the project has an advantage value.
With B/C ratio, the project can be compares with other project or
alternative project. The B/C ratio can be used  to assess a project: is the
project valuable or not and can be justified.

c. Cost-effectiveness analysis (CEA). CEA is a technique for comparing the
costs and the effectiveness of alternative ways of achieving the same
objective. In this technique, we should identify and analyze the costs,
identify and analyze effectiveness of outcomes, and identify and analyze
cost-effectiveness of outcomes. Of course, outcome criteria and measures
will be used have to be developed, developed and agreed in advance. Using
of cause and effects chains analysis may help the evaluator.

-----------------------------

Sherry,

I am not sure if I have to explain in details each of the method. I believe
that your friend in Brazil knows better than me about these methods. I hope
this will help. Please send me E-mail if you need more information.

Cheers.

Bambang Samekto
USAID/HPN

Mulai langganan: kirim e-mail ke [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Stop langganan: kirim e-mail ke [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Archive ada di http://www.mail-archive.com/envorum@ypb.or.id

Kirim email ke