Gary Fisher  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The 540EZ on an EOS 1N only offers a-ttl in program mode anyway.  If you
>use it in Av, Tv or M modes it reverts to plain ttl flash.

Ah, interesting - so given I very nearly *always* use my cameras in
Aperture Priority mode, I'm not going to loose any metering functionality
at all!

>All of the other features of the 550EX work with the 1N or any other
>A-TTL (type B) body. PLUS you get the forward compatibility with type A
>and digital bodies that you wouldn't get with the 540EZ.

What about second curtain sync? Slow sync?

>IMO - I'd be keeping the 550EX - it's capable of doing whatever you want
>with a 1N.

Thanks very much Gary - I'll let y'all know how I get on. Darn thing
didn't arrive yesterday, so I can try it out at a shoot tonight.

Hugo Gävert  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> later wrote:
>What I found out pretty fast was that A-TTL (at least with the powerfull
>flash like 540EZ) always gave very poor photos... It was dark due the
>small aperture the A-TTL always used. After that I always used it in
>Manual (or Av) mode ... so that the flash would operate in TTL mode.
>Pictures were much better. So I really can't see why people continue to
>say that A-TTL is somehow  important. It's not. At least not with 540EZ -
>the older flashes worked a bit differently, so the results might be
>better also.

The 1n brochure bangs on about how good A-TTL flash (with the 540EZ) is -
perhaps this is why its been replaced?!

>On the other hand, 550EX gives FEB and manual wireless flash when used
>with EOS 1N... so that makes the 550EX better flash for EOS 1N in by book.

Thanks.

BTW I've just got back a couple of rolls of Sensia II 100 that I shot
snowy scenes with (snow's pretty rare in this part of the UK) on my 1n and
'new' 28-70/2.8 L zoom. I took quite a few into the sun and there's hardly
*any* flare (no filter). I used +/- 1 whole stop auto bracketing, either
side of a constant +1 stop over exposure, and I'm glad I did (although
some passers by probably wondered why I was shooting landscapes at 6fps).
Will post some on my site when I get a chance to scan them. The film was a
year out of date but had been in my fridge since purchase and was
absolutely fine.

Chris.
--
http://met.open.ac.uk/group/cpv/photos.html