--- F & E Luis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I just got an Elan IIe and was about to get my first
> lens for it. I know the
> 28-80 kit lens has received horrible reviews but I
> was wondering what
> people's impressions are of the 28-90mm USM lens. Is
> it better? Or should I
> pay twice the price for a 28-105 USM lens? Remember
> that I am trying to be a
> little economical here.

Do you already have the 28-80?  If so, I don't think
upgrading to the 28-90 makes sense.  It's not that
much better a lens.

Choosing between the 28-90 and 28-105 depends, I
think, on what you plan to do with it.  If you're end
product is going to be 4x6 snapshots from the local
mini-lab, or scans for web viewing, you probably won't
notice a great difference between the two.  Certainly
the 28-90 is sharp enough for that use, although even
at 4x6 you'll probably be able to see that the 28-105
has better contrast.

If, OTOH, you're fairly serious about photography, and
plan on making enlargements, or shooting slides for
projection, I think the 28-105 is well worth it.  Your
images will be sharper and "snappier".

One way to be economical is to buy used.  Very little
of my equipment was purchased new.  Not only is it
cheaper, but if I decide I don't want a particular
lens after all, I can generally sell it for very close
to what I paid, which isn't true if you buy a new
lens.

Check out photo.net:
http://www.photo.net/gc/domain-top?domain_id=2

And, of course, there's always ebay, but be careful
about prices.  Much Canon gear sells there for way
more than it's really worth.

=====
Bob Meyer
Life is uncertain.  Eat dessert first.