In a message dated 5/23/01 6:50:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Looking at the EOS Magazine article again, the length of the 400mm f4 is
317mm.
  The DO version is 233mm.  So, *technically*, Canon has a 300mm lens that
gives
 you 400mm magnification?  Will this change the "compression" of the image
 (i.e., where the background appears closer than it really is) or am I over
 thinking this?  The DO just bends the light steeply allowing the same
 compression, etc. in a shorter barrel?

 317mm seems quite a bit short of 400mm.  >>

 I have a Tokina 300/4.0 ATX lens that is only 187mm long. And it's not even
DO. But it does have SD elements. So I guess it's even more possible to make
a "long" lens shorter.
George

My web page:

http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/Yegey/EntrancePage.html