----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerard Maas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Please don't spend your energy trying to keep a bath at exactly 20oC.
> Development is the result of time x temperature x concentration... and I'm
> sure you don't have the equipment to *exactly* measure 60ml of TMAX dev in
> 240ml of water, so don't worry if it's 20.5oC or 19.8oC.

A small addition to Gerard's reply:

I have developed an amount of b&w the last few years, and I havn't seen any
problems in working with different temperatures. I measure the temperature
and compensate the time according to the tables in the technical papers most
manufacturers provide as PDF:s on the web, and I havn't noticed any
diffrences even if the temperatures were as much as +-3oC of the recommended
temp.

I can't see any technical reason for why temperature should be so important
for most b&w films. Color processing is a different story, I guess the
reason is that color film basically consists of three different emulsions,
one for each color, and the recommended temperature is the one where all of
them "play together".

/Andy, Sweden