--- Collyer Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> -What format of EOS camerae are you using?
> I will be using an EOS 1v camera body.
> -How much magnification do you want/need?
<snip>
> Judging from that experience (magnification
> uncalculated at this time!) I
> would like to use the 28-135mm IS at the 135mm
> setting and focus closer...
> say between 2-3 meters.

The minimum focus distance of the 28-135 IS is 0.5
meters/1.6 feet. That is MUCH closer then what you are
asking for so I think you don't need the 500D,
extension tube, or macro lens for your purposes.

> I don't plan on taking a lot of close-ups just when
> something looks
> interesting like an unusual flower, door knob, fish
> or fruit at the market.

The magnification is 1:5. So you can get a picture of
an object with the size 12.5cmx18cm. That should be
enough for a door knob or fish. For fruit and flowers
you might need some higher magnification.

> -Will you use a tripode?
> I will not be using a tripod.

The 28-135 IS give you more flexibility. Nevertheless,
especially at higher magnification I would suggest to
use a tripod. For fruit, door knobs, etc. that should
not pose any problem. Also a tripod makes it easier to
exactly frame the object which is especially important
when you shoot slides.

> my preferences are
> to: 1) lighten the load,
> therefore an extra macro lense or bellows is too
> much weight

Then how come you buy a 1v which is pretty heavy. I
think if you want to travel light there are much
better options then the 1v, i.e. the Elan 7. If I
would want to travel light, which I don't, I'd prefer
to bring more glass then a heavier body.

Robert