<< If you want the background to be dark, apply negative exposure
 compensation. (e.g. -1.5EV) >>

Won't that also underexpose the flower that you are trying to photograph?

<<<<With a flower close-up, you should be able to cover several
AF sensors with the subject, so "standard" E-TTL should work.
If you have a white flower, apply positive FEC. E.g. +1EV>>>

I guess I should have been more specific.  I was trying to photograph a long
stem with a bud that was just opening.  So the bottom 2/3 of the photo was
the black cardboard background with just the thin green stem.  The bud was in
the top part of the photo and to the side and uncovered by one of the
focusing spots.  I would presume that Evaluative metering would not be great
because of the black background that occupies so much of the photo. I guess
Partial Metering would work reasonably well if I got the bud over a focusing
square. Would  this  be a good situation for Spot Metering which the Elan 7
doesn't have?

In my original post I questioned about metering closer up than the actual
shot to fill the frame with the subject, using FEL, and then moving back to
the point where you want to take the shot.  In thinking about this I am
thinking that it might not work anyway, since if you lock in the exposure
with a preflash at a certain distance from the subject and then move further
back the locked in exposure would not be correct, would it??  Is it different
from AEL in this way.....I'm not quite sure I get this.

Howard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]