For me using a flash in manual mode (thus no TTL nor E-TTL auto flash
exposure) is a must, so I would select 550EX. As far as I know you
can't set the 420EX or 380EX in manual mode. In manual mode the flash
output is always constant, either at full, 1/2, 1/4 or any reduced
power).

If you want/need to use flash meter (to meter the flash power and
adjust the aperture according to that) manual mode is needed.
This is the case quite often in studio flash photography.

On the other hand, for family snapshots and any action photography
the automatic flash exposure is usually a must.

For my own use, instead of getting 420EX or 380EX, I might buy a used
540EZ (or whatever it is called) or such which doesn't have E-TTL but
has manual mode and tilt/svivel head.

If you know you will need only automatic flash *and* you need the
latest bells and whisles of EX-series flashes then get the 420EX
which has tilt AND svivel head.

In fact, although I just ordered 550EX for my EOS 3 and 50E, I have
been perfectly happy with my old Canon 299T flash for automatic
flash pictures. It doesn't even have a TTL exposure.
Outside in nature with long teles the TTL feature is useful to have
though which is one of the reasons for me to get the 550EX.

Vesa