I find it weird that there was a post here that lauded the EOS 5 for 1EV extra
sensitivity over then Elan 7, but then stated they wouldn't take low-light photos.

I was trying out my Elan 7 last night.  I loaded my 50/1.8 II, set the ISO to 100 and
used Av mode at f/2.0.  At that aperture and ISO, EV 1 is 2 seconds.  In order to get
EV 1 at my house, I practically had to shut off every light in my house except for a
dim light in a separate room.  Even in a dimly lit room, the meter read ½ second,
equivalent to EV 3.

However, I must say that I was disappointed in the low-light AF performance.  While it
would focus sometimes at EV 1, it was very erratic.  The AF assist helped in achieving
focus much quicker, but it was still disappointing.

What was even more disappointing was that the AF assist would fire (sometimes) even at
EV 6 (1/8 sec, f/2).  This was greatly surprising to me, as I have often shot at EV 6
with high-speed film and no flash, and AF was able to work in those situations.

I would guess that the interior of a Circuit City would probably be about EV 6 or 7 or
so, so I could see the AF assist firing occassionaly.  However, with a fast lens, the
camera is able to focus without the assist (just push the flash down in the creative
mode).  I guess the AF assist just allows it to work faster.

I did rent a 550EX once and I was surprised then at how often the EX's IR assist would
light up the subject, in light that I didn't even consider too dim.

Sorry to ramble, I don't even really have a point except to say that the Elan 7's
flash will emit AF assist even in conditions which may allow AF without the assist.

Tom D