Neil,
That's an impressive list and lesson in history.  Thanks for the info.  I
think what Julian was getting at (and keep in mind it's all in fun) was that
we already have things to handle focus and exposure with idiot modes to
boot.  To my mind, focus, exposure and composition are the three elements to
a photograph, successful or not.  Automating two of these, we only have
composition left.  I understand the idea of brainstorming ideas and seeing
what sticks, but I'm not sure there is a whole lot left to automate of fix
in film cameras other than more complex exposure algorithms and faster
autofocus.  I don't see it as being stuck or giving up.  After all, some gun
designs (Winchester Model 70, Colt Auto 45) have remained the same for
decades.  I'm sure the same can be said for other technologies as well.
What I would like to see; however, is film to continue to get sharper and
sharper grain.  Maybe then, I'll never have to upgrade to medium format.
Thanks again, JD