> "Tom DelRosario" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: ...
> * This is not a bounce question, but it is an Elan 7/420EX question.
> Let's say I want to use flash as the primary light source.  But I
> also want to control the aperture.  So I set the camera to M mode
> and set the shutter to 1/125 and the aperture to the desired opening.
> Question: how do I know if the flash is powerful enough to do this?

Hi Tom,

There is an easy way and several hard ways.
The easy way is makes use of the E-TTL system pre-flash metering.

Simply push [*] to activate flash exposure lock (FEL) and look at
the flash symbol in the viewfinder. A blinking flash symbol indicates
flash underexposure: you should open up your aperture, use faster
film, get closer to the subject, use less dispersion on your flash,
or try to optimize flash direction if using bounce.

Since FEL is reflective metering, of course you need to compensate
if the subject being metered is not middle toned. But that is what
Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC) is for.

No, it is not in the FLASH FAQ, but FEL metering is described in
the Elan 7E manual. This and other FEL tricks have been previously
posted to the EOS list:
 http://www.mail-archive.com/eos@a1.nl/msg05001.html
 http://www.mail-archive.com/eos@a1.nl/msg09184.html

Did this reply help you?

Cheers
Julian Loke
P.S. FEL only works if CF4=0 on the Elan 7E. Another good reason
not to set CF4 at all :-)