Craig,

Thanks for the instant troubleshooting! :-)  (and yeah,
A2=EOS 5)

I went to my local camera shop on my lunch hour today and
they had a 70-200 IS in stock. (Finally!)  So I tried it on
the A2 with a 2x Mk II.  And indeed, everything worked! AF
and IS - even the outer focus points.

This is very reassuring to find out first hand... but why
would Canon tell me otherwise??  (would they be as shrewd
as to try to get me to upgrade bodies so the lens,
according to them, would then work?)

Anyway... I'm a happy boy!  And I'm getting this lens!

-Green

(p.s.  I demo'd a D30 while I was there.  The AF wasn't as
bad as I feared it would be, given user reports on the
web... but I'm used to an A2...)