Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 09:59:50 -0800
From: Chip Louie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: EOS which wide prime?

Hey All,

I had a similar problem while trying to come up with a bag of glass.  I
already had the EF 28-70 2.8L, EF 70-200 2.8L zooms and was almost seduced
by the (at that time new), EF 17-35 2.8L zoom.  But I had heard  and read
that the EF 20-35 2.8L was just as good if not better optically and that the
EF 20-35 3.5/4.5USM was right in there too.

So, I rented, borrowed, shot and tested the EF 20-35 2.8L, EF 17-35 2.8 L
and EF 20-35 3.5/4.5USM lenses over a period of several weeks before I
bought a wide angle zoom.  In the end I bought the EF 20-35 3.5/4.5USM.
It's IMO a MUCH better overall lens than either of the short L zooms.  The
EF 20-35 3.5/4.5USM seems sharper overall than the EF 17-35 2.8L and it's
most certainly much smaller, lighter and less expensive to boot.

The EF 17-35 while noticeably wider at the 17mm end also has noticeably more
linear distortion and does not seem as sharp beyond the central third of the
image then the EF 20-35 3.5/4.5USM lens.  But it does perform slightly
better in terms of vignetting, maybe by a 1/3 or 1/2 stop in the corners.
The EF 20-35 2.8L may actually be the best compromise optically between the
bunch but it's much slower focusing speed put me off.

I came to the conclusion that for the money I wanted the apparently sharper
overall image of the EF 20-35 3.5/4.5USM and the lower linear distortion of
the EF 20-35 3.5/4.5USM.  If paired with an EF 20 2.8USM for its' very low
linear distortion, and lower light loss in the corners I have the short end
pretty well covered.

Regards,

Chip Louie