----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Wright" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Canon EOS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 4:40 PM
Subject: EOS AF speed and 1n with PB-E2

> Hey all,
> I was on this list a few months ago, asked a-lot of
> questions. And now I'm back... :) with even more
> questions!!! Earlier I explained that I was wanting to
> switch from Pentax to Canon, well now I've finally
> (almost at least) got the financing to facilitate a
> complete switch into the Canon system. I've found an
> EOS-1n used for an extremely reasonable price. But
> after doing lots of reading I've been kindof thinking
> that my interests would be well enough served by an
> A2. That is, until I can afford the 1d. The only
> reservation I have about the A2 is it's focus tracking
> speed. One of the biggest reasons (and I'm sorry if I
> went over the last time) that I'm switching to Canon
> in the first place is that my camera cannot focus
> track a high school athlete running directly towards
> me. So my question is, can the A2 handle this type of
> moving subject, or ought I go for the 1n?
> Also, when mating the PB-E2 with the 1n, exactly what
> features of the E2 are lost? And can the NiMH
> accessory batteries that are available for the E2
> still be used. On the other hand, are there any
> rechargeable battery packs available for the VG-10?
> Or, can you use NiMH AAs in the VG-10?
> Thanks for all your help!!
>
> Nick

Whew, that's a bunch of questions!  Since I have both the 1n and A2, I can
answer most of them.
1) The A2 can handle the closing speed of a high school trackster, I used
mine to track unlimited hydroplanes running at about 160 mph, when I had a
user generated 1n lockup. (Don't ask)
If the PB-E2 has a main dial, which I seem to recollect it does, it won't
work with the 1n, only the shutter button.  I'm sot sure if the AE lock and
focus point buttons work or not.
The VG-10 for the A2 is a grip only, no batteries.  It has the main dial, AE
lock button, focus point selector button and shutter button, but that's it.
There is a bulky external battery pack available, to hang on your belt.
Cool, huh?
If it makes any difference at this point, I feel the A2 does 95% of what I
need a camera to do.  I originally bought the 1n for my wife, because she
was using her Elan II to shoot infrared film, and there was a minimal amount
of fogging on the bottom of the frame.  She didn't like the interface, so I
bought her a 10s and took over the 1n myself.  And, frankly, I like the
interface of the A2 better, myself.  The 5% that the 1n does that the A2
doesn't is the IR and better sealing, I shoot in the desert and at the beach
a lot.
Skip