>To me, it doesn't seem like much of an improvement over the G2.  In
>fact, the most exciting thing about the G3, to me, is the fact that
>the G2 should markedly go down in price once the G3 is out.

Here are the changes from the G2. Some may not see these
as "improvements."

-More angular handgrip for better finger-traction
-4x zoom, 35-140mm equiv., lens F/2.0-3.0
-Minimum focusing distance about 1.5 inches.
-Fast shutter speed at 1/1250 @ all apertures, 1/2000 @ f/4.0 and
higher
-Neutral Density Filter 3-stop cut, set via record menu
-Total of 9 flash modes, counting all combinations of
on/off/auto,etc.
-Signal processing speed considerably faster than G2
-12 bits/channel, through all image processing operations
-Roughly a 15% improvement in worst-case battery life over the G2
-"Infinite"- FlexiZone AF/AE (you can focus just about anywhere in
frame)
-Autofocus Bracketing (a first on a digital camera of this level)
-Scene-analysis technology for more accurate exposures under odd
lighting
-Shoot 2-100 shots, at intervals of 1 to 60 minutes
-8 white balance modes including two separate Custom settings
-Movies - 320 x 240 - 180 sec., and 160 x 120 - 180 sec.
-Faster continuous shooting speeds (High: 2.27 fps, measured at 1.46
fps)
-Startup lag much faster (4.2 seconds startup, 0.94 second full AF
lag)
-Interval between frames in Single frame mode 1.88 seconds (G2 2.33s)
-True zoom up to 14x combined digital and optical
-Image magnification during playback up to 10x, 10 steps
-New bayonet-mount lens adapter
-Top controls mirror EOS layout more closely
-Command wheel makes its first appearance in a PowerShot
-Mode dial and power switch separated
-Tabbed sub-menus for FUNC button greatly improve efficiency
-Position sensor automaticallyfor image rotation on portrait-format
shots
-You can choose to save a RAW-mode file on the fly