Joe I'm not sure I got your point, but I claim that the film exposure might
be affected from stray light entering the camera through the uncovered
finder in any case, would it be the camera metering or external one.
Suppose you are shooting during daylight (implying short exposure). Looking
through the viewfinder, the camera metered value X for the exposure. Then,
releasing the shutter would produce metered exposure on he film. However, if
just prior release you moved your head to the side exposing the viewfinder
for the ambient - the exposure metered by the camera is affected immediately
and it will produce exposure Y which will be actually used for particular
frame.

Now you say: let's use external meter to avoid such effect.
OK, suppose you shot in M (manual metering mode) with uncovered finder. You
metered the scene y some kind of handheld meter and got correct exposure for
that scene which you dial into the camera. Releasing the shutter would
indeed imply this exposure value , however, there is additional light
hitting the film (comes through the uncovered viewfinder) which also
contributes to the overall exposure so you may end up with somewhat
overexposed frame.

That brings me to another confusing question:
As I outlined originally, while metering by camera's meter looking through
the finder it calculates an exposure X. Now, uncovering the finder, the
camera detects additional light amount
entering (though it is obviously unable to realize that the additional light
source isn't one reflected from the scene being photographed, but rather the
excessive one) and tries to compensate for that by altering the initial
exposure thereby causing by certain final underexposure of the scene being
photographed.
The confusing issue is how the additional light source coming out of the
scene to be shoot
(not the one reflected form the actual subject) hitting the film plane
affects the proper exposure. Perhaps it really (positively) contributes to
the overall exposure so in this case the camera is correct taking that into
account and compensating accordingly (by less exposure), or contrary, this
light coming through the finder is really disturbing and negatively
influence the exposure of the film so originally the camera should take that
into account but then the camera's design must take care of cutting that
light significantly ?

Perhaps more experienced photographers on the List may clarify the issue ?

Regards,
Alex Z