--- David Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As a side note, I was at my local camera store
> yesterday to drop off film
> for processing, and listened to some x-mas shopper
> conversations with sales
> people at the "digital" counter.  Teen-ager and her
> father were looking at a
> Digital Rebel and 18-55 lens.  Neither seemed to
> know much about
> photography, and they were looking at a camera for
> her to take to college
> next year. Girl & father couldn't understand why,
> for $500 more, the Digital
> Rebel could not 1) show image on LCD for framing a
> shot like digital P&S
> cameras and 2) make video clips like a digital P&S.

Frankly, neither do I.  Canon has shutter technology
that will hold the shutter open and mirror up using no
battery power.  While building the capability to do
that into the Rebel might cause it to exceed the price
point, it should be a part of the 10d and higher
bodies, along with a pivoting LCD like the G2, G3 and
G5 have.  Imagine how nice it would be to frame low
angle shots from above, on an LCD screen aimed up the
photographer.

I don't care about video clips, but the same shutter
technology would make that fairly easy, too.

=====
Bob Meyer
I wish I knew what I know now, when I was younger...

http://www.meyerweb.net/epson