I have never heard of a 'manual slave mode' on the 550EX before, and
certainly haven't found one on mine.

I did do some experimenting a while back with the peanut slave and found
that, although the peanut would fire the 550EX once , you had to
disconnect the slave and then reconnect it to fire the flash again.

I searched on the web and found that this problem is well documented.
Some slaves just don't have the power, or whatever, to cycle the 550EX.
I did read that higher end slaves had been found to work, but I don't
remember which ones.

My peanut works fine on my Sunpak handle flashes.  I added the 550EX to
my manual setup by modifying a Hama pc adapter to receive the 550ex and
then using a pc cord to fire the 550EX.  The flash from the 550EX then
fires the Sunpaks connected to the peanut.

Joe.