"Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote/replied to:

>>50mmf1.8 - cheap, optically good, large aperture
>
>I can't compare, because I've not used the 50/1.8.  I bought the 50/1.4
>because it offers full time manual focusing (my understanding is the 50/1.8
>doesn't) and from the reviews I've read, the 1.4 has faster AF than the 1.8.
>
>The full time manual focusing is really important to me, and I haven't been
>unhappy at all with the 1.4 version.

And, big AND here, the 1.4 offers a much better bokah. Yes folks, this
is important to me. Besides, a real focusing ring with distance scale
is nice. The 50/1.4 become a portrait lens on a 10D and with the
smaller sensor size, shooting wide open, this lens is very sharp. I
just with it had IS. Seriously, for some reason with short lenses, I
have a hard time holding the camera still without a pod. I can shoot
at lower speeds with my 100-400 IS than with the 50.

--
Need a brighter headlight the safe way?
Get a MOTORCYCLE HEADLIGHT RELAY KIT at: