> Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:02:02 -0700
> From: "Alan Bell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: EOS D20... Is that what we expected???
>
> 8.2 megapixel will allow for what size (high
> resolution) image or print?

any size, if you are willing to interpolate and see the
artifacts at large sizes.

Seriously, though, it depends on the print resolution.
300 dpi? 180 dpi? 240 dpi? name your resolution and do
the math.

at 300 dpi printed, an sensor/image size of say, 3000 x
2000 will yield a direct translation to 10 inches by
6.66 inches. at 150 dpi, it's 20 inches by 13.33
inches. Can you live with 150 DPI image quality? you
tell me.

Get the sensor size for the 20D and divide your desired
output DPI resolution into the sensor dimensions.

Of course, your printer will almost certinaly re-sample
to the 720 dpi or 1440 dpi or whatever it's capable of,
so it's never a direct a 1:1 translation of pixels to
ink drops.

David Heller
301-346-4717
[EMAIL PROTECTED]