To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 3:05 PM
Subject: RE: EOS My 70-200L IS is showing 00 for aperature and freezes

My 70-200L IS is ocassionally showing me "00" for aperature and blinking
"MF" indicator, when it happens the whole lens freezes; I have to either
turn off the camera (EOS3) or actually remove the lens from the camera
(Elan 7).

I've seen this at least 30 or 40 times on the EF100-400 over the 4.5 years since I owned it, the first 6 month I used this lens with the A2E there was absolutely no problem with it, but the problem started as soon as I start using it with a brand new EOS-3, but it does happen quite infrequently so I can never reproduce it for Canon to repair, and just decided to live with it while cursing every time this happens, as this problem does not occur with any other Canon lenses I have, I had attribute it to the EF100-400.

Then I got the 1D Mk II 5 months ago, this problem magically disappeared,
this is magical as I've shot over 5,000 shots with this lens since then
and
it did not freeze up once, then I had to use a loaner EF100-400 while my
own was in the shop and it happened again close to 20 times in one day of
about 600 images.

The problem went away when I got my own lens back.....

It seems to be a problem prone to L series IS lenses.....

Ken

Chuck Westfall recently compiled a 'Knowledge Base'. I cannot remember where it was posted, but the paragraph of interest is:

<Begin quote>

What is causing my camera to lock-up with the EF 70-200mm f2.8 lens?

In the majority of cases where users are experiencing a "00" aperture
readout and subsequent camera lock-up, my personal opinion is that the
electronic contacts on the lens are not lining up with sufficient accuracy
to achieve normal operation,. In such a case, it's most likely that the lens
mount on the camera is in need of an adjustment, though there's always the
possibility that something else may be involved.

Regardless of the reason for the problem, anyone needing help for this issue
should contact a Canon Service Center for assistance."

<End Quote>

So, Canon USA are aware of the problem, even if Canon Japan aren't

Cheers

Keith