I'd forgotten all about the 300/4L IS! Just read a bunch of similar raves at Fred Miranda. I think I'll strongly consider this option. Thanks!

Ken

At 03:53 PM 2/23/2006, you wrote:
Well, it's settled then. Get the 400mm f/4 DO IS!  :)

I've never owned a 400mm prime, so this is probably out of contect. But I
have owned bith the 2.8 (no IS) and 4.0 (both models) 300mm, and all of them
were subjectively sharper with a 1.4x than my 100-400mm. But the convenience
factor is a big plus, the zoom is nearly 3 inches shorter when collapsed.
But the prime is nearly 5 inches shorter than the extended 100-400mm, so
there's another point to think about, longer is less stable. Hmm, maybe I
was right to begin with, the IS DO version is the best of both worlds. Maybe
you should rent both from www.rentglass.com for a week and try them out side
by side.

Tom P.