Many years ago I bought a Pentax kit camera from Camera & Darkroom in
Albuquerue.  The salesman told me that I had to buy a UV filter to
protect the lens and I had to promise I would keep it on.  Since then
I've always done that with all my cameras.  I can think of three
separate occassions since switching from Nikon Coolpix to Canon EOS
where the lens filter has almost certainly saved me from damaging my
front lens element.  Two occassions were L lenses.  Beyond those times,
my filters have always given me a sense of nonchalance when it came to
cleaning.  Tongue and shirt, and I can buy a new filter if I
accidentally forget I'm wearing my sandpaper shirt that day.

But, after reading all the things people said about filters, I had to try
it for myself.  I posted a little commentary with the two pictures about
how I shot them.  The shutter speed difference might invalidate my whole
"test" here, but I'm willing to lean towards the idea that it doesn't
because it doesn't look like motion blur.

http://schlake.livejournal.com/385316.html

-- void *(*(*schlake(void *))[])(void *);