On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 9:12 PM, Zhiwei Zhu <z_...@wargaming.net> wrote:

>  Dear all,
>

> I am not sure whether this has been discussed before or whether it’s
> appropriate to discuss this in this list.
>

> My question is about c++11 support for the projects on epel (probably more
> specifically, epel7).  Do we have any kind of general policy regarding
> c++11 support?
>
> I am asking this because recently we encountered a problem related to
> this. The case is that our project is built with option ‘-std=c++11’ while
> the library used by our project on epel (specifically mongo-cxx-driver) was
> not built with this option, and our process simply crashes during start.
>
> The root cause is the ABI built with c++11 option is actually not
> compatible with that without it. Please refer to
> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Cxx11AbiCompatibility.
>

> So the ‘-std=c++11’ draws a clear line between binaries/libraries, all of
> them must be built either with it or without it(C code is probably fine).
> You cannot mix them togother, otherwise there might be risks.
>

> Is there any general policy regarding this c++11 support? Or just
> maintainers make the decision for specific project?
>

> If the question is not approriate to discuss in this list, please ignore
> it. Or if anyone has any idea about where I can find relevant information,
>  could you please share with me?

devtoolset seems to be the right solution for C++11 support because it
offers better ABI compatibility ( see section 2.2.2 at
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Developer_Toolset/3/html/3.0_Release_Notes/DTS3.0_Release.html#Features
).

However, having said that, I previously brought up the idea of making the
devtoolset available for use in the EPEL (
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/epel-devel/2013-September/008737.html
) but the conversation never really picked up any traction. I would
definitely love to see devtoolset be made available for use when building
packages in the EPEL but I'm just not sure how to get that ball rolling.

Dave