On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 11:28 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobin...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 3:16 AM, Ken Dreyer <ktdre...@ktdreyer.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 7:34 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobin...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> 2) Automatic unpushing of updates that haven't gone stable after X
> >> time (I propose 3 months/90 days here). That should be ample time to
> >> know if it's good/bad.
> >
> > Could we make it go the other way, and submit the update to stable if
> > it's received no feedback for 90 days?
>
> No, because on two of the 3 I referenced there was bad karma and no
> response from the "maintainer" to the feedback.
>
> > Often I'll let my update sit in epel-testing for a long time because I
> > want to give users a large window of opportunity to test the update.
> > It's not that it's abandoned, it's just that it's not an urgent
> > update, so why rush it? If the update hits the karma threshold earlier
> > than I expected, so much the better.
>
> I think 90 days is enough to let people test it, ultimately the
> maintainer should have done the testing and know the vast majority of
> it is good, it should be more to get non standard use cases, corner
> cases etc.

In theory yes, but the real world is far messier than that. There are a few
packages that I maintain in EPEL because a package I needed depend on it,
but I don't use the functionality. So I know the package I use works but
I've never exercised/tested the functionality of the depended on package. I
wish that I had time for that to not be the case, but sadly that's just the
reality of the situation.