CD> [...] for EPEL 6 I'm
CD> unable to apply security fixes as one of them (the most important
CD> one...) requires C++11 features not available in gcc 4.4 :( What is
CD> the best strategy for such a package?

Maybe ask someone who is really familiar with C++ to see if the change
can be done in a way that's compatible with the older compiler?

It should be quite possible to have a newer compiler in EPEL6 that's
parallel-installable, but someone would have to actually do the work to
make that happen.  At least I don't think that violates any EPEL rules.

 - J<