On 03/08/2016 10:42 AM, Brian Bouterse wrote:
> This removal has been problematic for a lot of software including the listed
> EPEL dependencies and anything those depend on. I propose the following be
> done:
>
> - Temporarily un-retire Django14 in EPEL6, and allow a planned sunset after
> some period of time. It would not receive updates during this time since
> upstream Django deprecated it already.
>
> - Add python-django[0] from EPEL7 (python-django-1.6.11-5.el7) to EPEL6 in a
> way that has allows some time overlap with Django14 being also available.
> During that time other packages can switch to using python-django gracefully.
> This should be feasible because Django 1.6 is the last Django Y release which
> will run on Python 2.6 making it feasible to run on EL6.
>
> Other ideas or suggestions are welcome.
>
> [0]: https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/package/rpms/python-django/
>
> -Brian

With the relatively fast moving nature of django, I'm wondering if any django
package in EPEL should be unversioned.  It seems like we should have
python-djangoXX instead.  Although I have no idea how easy it is to implement
that.

Also, while Matthias has issued an update recently for 1.6 in EPEL7, it looks
like its days are numbered as upstream has dropped it as well:
https://www.djangoproject.com/download/

Hopefully Matthias will chime in with his thoughts.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                       or...@nwra.com