On 15 March 2016 at 02:18, James Hogarth <james.hoga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A situation has come up similar to the nginx one.
>
> Owncloud 7.0 has reached EOL so we either need to bring it up to date in
> EPEL6 or retire it.

I am of the opinion is to retire it across the board. This software is
not meant to be put into RPMs and trying to keep it in such a form is
frankly more work than it is worth it. Especially since people needing
help are going to be told by upstream not to use the RPMs but use the
methods outlined on their site if they want help. After reading this
email and https://lwn.net/Articles/670566/ I think it would be better
service to people wanting to use owncloud to have a more upstream
relationship.

> The bigger question though is what to do with EPEL7 and the future of
> owncloud in it.
>
> Over there, and Fedora currently, the current release is 8.0 but in the real
> world™ no one wants to actually use that for anything serious.
>
> The 8.1 and even more so 8.2 updates added significant improvements in
> performance and administrator tooling.
>
> The result is that many it seems abandoned the EPEL build in favour of the
> Suse Open Build Service packages or just straight from the upstream zip
> file.
>
> You might have already read our plans for Fedora with 8.1.5 going out next
> week and 8.2.3 a couple of weeks later, with a view to getting to 9.0.X a
> couple of months perhaps after that.
>
> Since starting on this path I've been asked more about EPEL than Fedora
> though, with many keen to return to distribution packages.
>
> The last time we carried out a major update in EPEL the package was just
> left in epel-testing for an extended period, which we could do again, but
> we'll want to do this a couple of times at least to make it to 8.2
> preferably due to the extensive unbundling we've done (no bundled php
> libraries in the build to go out to Fedora now) and for the features that
> make it useful.
>
> So the question ultimately is one of direction and advice requested. Is this
> something to ask EPSCo explicit guidance or exception on?
>
> It's after all of no one's interest to have a package that people don't want
> to use as it's too far behind on useful features.
>
> The larger issue is that one cannot just jump from 8.0 to 8.2 but upstream
> requires passing through 8.1 first.
>
> I don't feel I have the time to maintain owncloud80, owncloud81, owncloud82
> and owncloud90 packages in parallel, it's been hard enough work just testing
> a single upgrade path to what we want to support.
>
> In addition it would seem a waste of energy maintaining packages that have
> bundling issues that people don't want to use.
>
> So... Thoughts? Advice? Log a ticket with EPSCo discuss at next meeting?
>
> Cheers
>
> James

Stephen J Smoogen.